[Rake-devel] Building native extensions with Rake

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Tue Nov 18 14:34:45 EST 2008

> Do you think mkmf2 could be made to do the job? Or is it an evolutionary
> dead end?

Good question - and I don't know.  I'd have to dig into a bit more to
give a informed answer.

> It might be worth starting a RubyForge project anyway, recruit a few
> people, get a few people testing and so on.

I'd only want to start it if I knew I could finish it - or at least get
it along a fair distance.

> BTW, this looks like a current reference, yes?
> http://www.python.org/doc/2.5.2/dist/dist.html

Yes.  Distutils also includes a lot of stuff that gems already provides.
  For us, the interesting part is its way of building extensions.