[Rake-devel] Building native extensions with Rake

Charlie Savage cfis at savagexi.com
Tue Nov 18 14:14:01 EST 2008

Hi Dan,

> Implementing an mkmf replacement was tried a while ago:
>
> http://rubyforge.org/projects/mkmf2/
>
> But it never caught on. But gems are more pervasive now, so maybe if it
> was gemified, we could take another look. However, I don't think it was
> ever trying to be a distutils replacement.

Yeah, I had hopes that mkmf2 would solve the problem, but it didn't  So
although it was an improvement, it didn't solve the fundamental problem,
and thus wasn't enough of an improvement.

> Porting distutils may be the answer, though. You volunteering? ;)

With the amount of time I've spent figuring out how to compile Ruby c
extensions on C, I should have just started with that :)

As much as it would be interesting, I'm not volunteering.  libxml-ruby,
libxslt-ruby and ruby-prof are taking all my open source cycles at the
moment.

Charlie