[Rake-devel] RC for Rake 0.8.4 available on GitHub

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 18:44:09 EDT 2008

On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
> jimweirich-rake- is available on GitHub.  This is the release
> candidate for rake 0.8.4.  I'll give folks a day to kick the tires and
> release it tomorrow (pending the resolution of Luis's system questions).

There are two approaches to this problem.

1) Modify RakeFileUtils::RUBY defintion to include EXEEXT.
2) Modify system() in ruby to properly find executables without extension.

The first one is easy, and fixing this will also fix the skipped test
for Rake. But this will introduce issues for Rake on JRuby since it
will be adding ".exe" under Windows to already "ruby_install_name"

Luis at KEORE (D:\Users\Luis)
$ jirb
irb(main):001:0> require 'rbconfig'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> RbConfig::CONFIG['bindir']
=> "D:/Users/Luis/ruby/jruby-1.1.4/bin"
irb(main):003:0> RbConfig::CONFIG['ruby_install_name']
=> "jruby.bat"
irb(main):004:0> RbConfig::CONFIG['EXEEXT']
=> ".exe"

The second one is more complicated, as you may know ruby-core is
really reluctant to introduce changes and not all the users will
benefit from this.

I'm open to suggestions.

Luis Lavena
disinclination to do so.