[Rake-devel] Rakefile optional when using a rake directory

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 10:58:42 EDT 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
>  As I understand it, there are two requests here.
>
>  (1) Change the name of rakelib to rake (or maybe just added rake in
>  addition to rakelib?)
>  (2) Allow the omission of the Rakefile if rake (or rakelib?) is present.
>
>  On (1), I am disinclined to change the name of rakelib (or add
>  additional redundant functionality) in the absence of a compelling
>  reason to do so.  I believe the reason you assert if merely a
>  preference for the shorter name, correct?

I can understand not changing it --no reason to break backward
compatibility, but adding it as an alternative, it seems to me, can
only be advantageous. It's not reasonless. Aesthetics is a vital
aspect of ease of use. Clearly, this can be subjective and it is
impossible to please everyone, but rake/ seems a very reasonable
--even obvious, option, to me. It much like supporting Rakefile or
rakefile.rb. So I hope you won't dismiss it simply because it is
"merely" a question of aesthetics. That has value too.

>  On (2), this is a more interesting proposal.  I'm not sure I would use
>  the feature myself, but if there is a wider desire amoung rake users
>  for this, I might consider it.
>
>  Fair 'nuff?

That's quite fair. Thank you.

I hope the pulse of Rake users will prove favorable.

Thanks Jim,
T.