[Rake-devel] ~/.rake file?

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 09:53:51 EDT 2008

Sorry I came late to this topic...

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jun 30, 2008, at 12:41 AM, Adam Salter wrote:
>
>> chroot is not really the same thing... ie it's not really a standard or
>> normal way of having Rake tasks globally available... ie I can't use it that
>> way regularly.
>> Rakefile in / does work i guess, but makes me think when i said 'globally
>> available' i really meant 'per-user'.
>>
>> Still no comment from the great and benevolent leader Jim... ;)
>
> You forgot the easily distractible :)
>
> I have no strong objection to this change.  Several points:
>
> (1) Only reads .rake if if finds no other Rakefile.  This is important
> because you don't want to accidently put important build functionality
> outside of your project directory.

Good, something like Sake does, you put generic tasks that you usualy
run for most of your projects (like log:clear) :-)

> (2) If the command line option is given, then the local Rakefile should be
> ignored.
>
> (3) Where are you going to put the .rake file on a windows machine?

If home is not defined, then should be HOMEDRIVE + HOMEPATH :-)
If there is not HOMEDRIVE+HOMEPATH, that mean is not a user, but a
service, then it should look for APPDATA.

If no APPDATA there, it should look for ALLUSERSPROFILE

> (4) Include tests for all changes.  I am much more likely to accept patches
> with tests than otherwise.
>
> Also, I'm planning on putting a git repository of rake on github in the very
> near future (meant to do it this weekend but ran out of time).  That should
> make it easier for alternate versions.  I'll put an announcement here when I
> do.

Great news!

I'll be able to fork and make all the tests for rake actual pass on
Windows and see what other cross-platform bug we found in ruby itself
to catch! :-)

Thank you Jim for your hard work :-)

Regards,
--