[Rake-devel] ~/.rake file?

Jim Weirich jim.weirich at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 09:33:58 EDT 2008

On Jun 30, 2008, at 12:41 AM, Adam Salter wrote:

> chroot is not really the same thing... ie it's not really a standard
> or normal way of having Rake tasks globally available... ie I can't
> use it that way regularly.
> Rakefile in / does work i guess, but makes me think when i said
> 'globally available' i really meant 'per-user'.
> Still no comment from the great and benevolent leader Jim... ;)

You forgot the easily distractible :)

I have no strong objection to this change.  Several points:

(1) Only reads .rake if if finds no other Rakefile.  This is important
because you don't want to accidently put important build functionality
outside of your project directory.

(2) If the command line option is given, then the local Rakefile
should be ignored.

(3) Where are you going to put the .rake file on a windows machine?

(4) Include tests for all changes.  I am much more likely to accept
patches with tests than otherwise.

Also, I'm planning on putting a git repository of rake on github in
the very near future (meant to do it this weekend but ran out of
time).  That should make it easier for alternate versions.  I'll put
an announcement here when I do.

-- Jim Weirich
-- jim.weirich at gmail.com