[Rake-devel] Current rake version number?

Jim Weirich jim.weirich at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 00:45:13 EDT 2008

On Jul 27, 2008, at 4:54 PM, Adam Majer wrote:
> Currently github is listed as the development place for rake, but the
> README still talks about rubyforge and there is no mention of the
> current revision control used except in the mailing lists. Someone not
> reading the list will view rubyforge as current source. Please remove
> the subversion repository and have a comment about current project
> location on github.

Hmmm, you're right.  There is no non-mailing notice that Rake SCM has
moved to GitHub.  I'll add something to the README file.  Is there
somewhere else where it would be good to place this notice.

I plan to keep the subversion repo in place for the moment and push
major releases out to it.  But the github repo will be the one with
the latest stuff on it.  Do you see a problem with this?

> Then there is the interesting entries in CHANGES that contradict
> .gitignore comments. CHANGES lists current version as pre-0.8.2, but
> .gitignore lists 0.8.1.3. Are 0.8.1.x development snapshots? Or
> bugfixes? Which one should be used?

All official Rake releases will have a 3-level revision tag.  A 4-
level revision tag indicates an intermediate release (i.e. all 0.8.1.x
revision are pre 0.8.2) for either internal use or sometimes released
as a beta (from http://onestepback.org/betagems).

> Secondly, if you are tagging versions, could you please tag the
> versions
> with a signed tag? Currently there are no tags which makes GIT less
> reliable.

I've not made any official releases off the git repository yet, but
when I do I will tag it.  I generally don't tag intermediate releases
(didn't in the subversion repo either).  Is this something to
reconsider?

Re: signed tags ... never done one, let me look into it.

-- jim.weirich at gmail.com