[Rake-devel] timestamp checking is slow?

Ittay Dror ittay.dror at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 01:27:32 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm using Rake (actually Buildr) to compile C++ files. As part of that
I'm loading dependencies on header files. The total amount of
dependencies is 869 on 142 obj files.

The issue I'm seeing is that it takes a lot of time for Rake to
timestamp these files to reach a conclusion that it has nothing to do.
Compared to make that takes 0.7 seconds to run, Rake takes 3 seconds. If
I remove the creation of the dependencies (but still leave the loading
and parsing of the files) rake takes 1 second.

I understand that 2 seconds seem like not a long time, but the project
I'm working on has over 1000 of source files, so I expect the time to be
much larger. Do you think anything can be done to make Rake closer to
make? note that without the timestamp checking, the rest of the work
doesn't amount to a lot of overhead, so I am hoping it is not the
dynamic nature of Ruby that is the cause of the problem (but maybe poor
implementation of File(file).mtime?)

Thank you,
Ittay

Ittay Dror <ittay.dror at gmail.com>