[Rake-devel] Rakefile optional when using a rake directory

Assaf Arkin assaf at labnotes.org
Wed Feb 27 12:57:20 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 4:04 AM, Adam Salter <adam.q.salter at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hugh,
>  I suspect you understand the actual tone with which my comment was
>  expressed (albeit a little hurriedly)...
>  Of course it's good to make a request. But it's only a request. A
>  request and a patch is better.

I beg to differ.

If you need something, ask for it.  There's a high chance that it
already exists just not apparent to you, someone else is working on it
or motivated to make it happen by your request, that it was attempted
before but didn't work, doesn't fit the goals of the project, or that
there's a better way of doing things.  Asking costs nothing, and you
get more people involved in figuring out the solution.

The only rule is, don't expect anything to happen without putting
effort into it.  The effort to make a code change happens involves a
patch, but the right way to start is often enough to ask first.