[Rake-devel] truncated task descriptions

Jason LaPier jason.lapier at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 15:55:35 EST 2008

Hey all -

This is an extremely trivial point, so don't spend too much time on it
:) I understand the rationale behind the truncation of task
descriptions in 'rake -T' but I find the 80 column limit a little too
condensed for my personal tastes. I whipped up a rake task that
displays tasks and allows me to specify my column limit with an
environment variable. Something like:
$ export RAKE_DESC_COLS=180
$ rake t
$ rake t[some-pattern]

The rake task is detailed here:
http://offtheline.net/2008/2/24/rake-and-truncated-task-descriptions
If anyone thinks they might find this useful, I'd be willing to create
a patch (to work with '-T' rather than a task named 't'). Let me know
if you'd prefer using an environment variable or another command-line
switch. Personally, I like the environment variable because I can
stick it in my .bashrc and have different column width depending on
what computer I'm in front of.

- Jason L.

--
My Rails and Linux Blog: http://offtheline.net