[Rake-devel] Merging the system .rake changes

Jim Weirich jim.weirich at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 01:38:29 EDT 2008

On Aug 25, 2008, at 1:24 AM, Adam Salter wrote:

> Tested the gem. Works well.

Great!  What platform did you run it on?

> I'm ok with your suggestion:
> -g = use system rakefiles
> -G = ignore system rakefiles

Good.  I'm probably going to change this.

> One thing I did notice is that it seems the "bubble up to rakefile"
> function doesn't work any more.

Yes, I just noticed that too.

> Ie go to rakefile dir, change to subdirectory, type 'rake -T'... you
> get the system rakefile tasks. I think it's the order it does the
> checking for system rakefiles, it should bubble first, if no
> rakefiles found then system, if no system files found then exit. I
> guess this method is better, since it is more in line with older
> systems... I think I prefer the current way though.

The problem is that have_project_rakefile? doesn't bubble up when it
does the checking.  Rake really needs to do the bubble up checking,
that's was one of the first features of rake over make that was
included, and I don't want to lose that.  If you are anywhere in the
project, you will get project behavior.  Only when you are outside any
project will you  get the system-wide behavior by default.

I'm working on fixing this.  I just want to make sure we don't do the
bubble up search more than once.

-- jim.weirich at gmail.com