[Rake-devel] ~/.rake file?

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 14:51:21 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 7:18 PM, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2008, at 2:39 AM, Adam Salter wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>> I have created a issue for this, with associated comments and patch:
>> http://onestepback.org/redmine/issues/show/13
>>
>> It basically just needs:
>> a) Windows testing.
>> b) 1 test is currently failing and it's due to the fact that I couldn't
>> work out how to properly mock the test... I'd really appreciate any help in
>> this matter, and would be very happy to learn. The test is called
>> 'test_load_from_system_rakefile' and it's in the patch. You can see what
>> functionality it should have from the test, but as stated it doesn't work.
>

> I'm in the midst of looking over this patch.  The thought occurs to me that
> perhaps ~/.rake shouldn't be a file, but a directory where you can drop
> xxx.rake files into.  This allows stuff from separate sources to be
> integrated without hassle.
>
> Thoughts?

May I make a slightly different suggestion here. I know it isn't the
typical way, but I've been trying to promote the idea to of using
shared hidden home directories. Home directories have gotten so
bloated with hidden config files, when I use a file dialog that
doesn't support any way to hide them it is annoying, to say the least.

So to help combat this I've been modeling my app's use of hidden home
locations roughly after FHS. Eg.

  ~/.bin/
  ~/.etc/
  ~/.lib/
  ~/.share/

For rake tasks ~/.lib/ might be the most appropriate, though /.share
is sort of safe bet for anything. So instead of ~/.rake, how about:

  ~/.lib/rake

Of course, both could be supported too.

> Also, I see you added '.rake' to the list of rakefile names.  I'm not sure
> that is necessary, since we never find ~/.rake when searching for rakefiles.

Hmm... Does it matter? Won't rake -T just say "no one home"? Also, the
optional alternative of  "_rake" could work too. That's what Darcs
does to support Windows better.

T.