[Rake-devel] ~/.rake file?

Adam Salter adam.q.salter at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 23:45:58 EDT 2008

On 20/08/2008, at 9:18 AM, Jim Weirich wrote:

> On Aug 15, 2008, at 2:39 AM, Adam Salter wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>> I have created a issue for this, with associated comments and patch:
>> http://onestepback.org/redmine/issues/show/13
>>
>> It basically just needs:
>> a) Windows testing.
>> b) 1 test is currently failing and it's due to the fact that I
>> couldn't work out how to properly mock the test... I'd really
>> appreciate any help in this matter, and would be very happy to
>> learn. The test is called 'test_load_from_system_rakefile' and it's
>> in the patch. You can see what functionality it should have from
>> the test, but as stated it doesn't work.
>

> I'm in the midst of looking over this patch.  The thought occurs to
> me that perhaps ~/.rake shouldn't be a file, but a directory where
> you can drop xxx.rake files into.  This allows stuff from separate
> sources to be integrated without hassle.
>
> Thoughts?

also +1 for rake file directory... Only thought is that it will
probably have to be called something different on Windows.
'.rake' doesn't look so good on Windows...
I think the suggestions was to put it in 'Application Data/Rake'.

> Also, I see you added '.rake' to the list of rakefile names.  I'm
> not sure that is necessary, since we never find ~/.rake when
> searching for rakefiles.

I did, it worked as my solution, but i can modify patch to reflect the
directory and remove this.

I also have to modify the patch for the Windows suggestions re:Windows
detection, so I'll do them both.

Thanks,
-Adam