[Rake-devel] Rake bug _ win 64

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 14:27:38 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 7:53 PM, David Southwell <david at vizion2000.net> wrote:
> Nobuyoshi Nakada suggests the following problem is due to a rake bug.
> Currently I am unable to install hpricot on a win 64 system. See following
> bug report with response from Nobuyoshi Nakada
>

> Original Bug Report:
>
> Looks like latest version of hpricot is not pathing correctly for installation
> on win 64 systems which have both a C:\Program
> Files and C:Program Files (86) directory. On the other hand correct path seems
> to be followed to write the
> gem_make.out file.
>
>> gem install hpricot
> Building native extensions. This could take a while
> ERROR: Error installing hpricot
>       ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.
>
> C:/Program Files (x86)/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install hpricot
> 'C:/Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> Gen files will remain installed in C:/Program Files (x86)/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/
> 1.8/gems/hpricot-0.6.161 for inspection.
> Results logged to C:/Program Files (x86)/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/hpricot-
> 0.6.161/ext/fast_xs/gem_make.out

I still don't see how to Rake is blame by Hpricot building?

http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/hpricot/browser/trunk/ext/fast_xs/extconf.rb

> gem_make.out:
> C:/Program Files (x86)/ruby/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb install hpricot
> 'C:/Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> extconf.rb in same directory:
> require 'mkmf'
> have_header('stdio.h') or exit
> dir_config('fast_xs')
> create_makefile('fast_xs')

It's basically building a plain makefile with mkmf, so the problem is
path quoting/escaping in RubyGems.

Will better if you bring this to rubygems-devel mailing list and I'll
pin it to my inbox along with RubyGems 1.3.0 details for Windows.

--
Luis Lavena
AREA 17