[Rake-devel] Are rules supposed to honor timestamps?

Jim Weirich jim.weirich at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 19:43:56 EDT 2008

On Aug 18, 2008, at 7:13 PM, Dave Thomas wrote:

> So, my question: am I misunderstanding how rules are supposed to work?

Your understanding is correct ... however I believe the time stamp
resolution on the file system is 1 second (2 seconds on DOS FAT
files).  In other words, Rake cannot tell that a file is "out of date"
if they are created in the same second.

Put a "sleep 2" in your Rakefile between each test and you should see
the proper output.

> Also, if the dependencies of a rule is an array, then the entries
> after the first one seem to be ignored.

This is a bug in the 0.8.1 release of rake.  If you load the gem from
the latest build on github, this should be corrected.  I will probably
release 0.8.2 very soon.

-- jim.weirich at gmail.com