[Rake-devel] recursive task invocation

Assaf Arkin assaf at labnotes.org
Wed Aug 13 16:07:30 EDT 2008

On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Jim Weirich <jim.weirich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 13, 2008, at 11:27 AM, Bennett, Patrick wrote:
>> For me at least, this is a *huge* drawback.  I add new tasks and modify
>> existing tasks during task execution all the time.
>> Having the execution order determined all at once up-front would be a
>> big problem.
> Seems to me it would be possible to switch to an explicitly managed task
> stack without losing the dynamic nature of the task dependencies.

If it's just an issue of Ruby recursion eating up the stack, why not
change the algorithm so it's iterative using a proper stack to
push/pop prerequisites?

Creating a tree of prerequisites before invoking a single task would
change the way you use Rake, I'm one of the people who's code would
get affected.