[Rake-devel] Current rake version number?

Adam Majer adamm at zombino.com
Tue Aug 12 15:32:29 EDT 2008

Jim Weirich wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2008, at 4:54 PM, Adam Majer wrote:
>> Currently github is listed as the development place for rake, but the
>> README still talks about rubyforge and there is no mention of the
>> current revision control used except in the mailing lists. Someone not
>
> Hmmm, you're right.  There is no non-mailing notice that Rake SCM has
> moved to GitHub.  I'll add something to the README file.  Is there
> somewhere else where it would be good to place this notice.
>
> I plan to keep the subversion repo in place for the moment and push
> major releases out to it.  But the github repo will be the one with the
> latest stuff on it.  Do you see a problem with this?

Yes, README is a good place. Make sure that the project's mainpage is
also updated at rake.rubyforge.org

>> Secondly, if you are tagging versions, could you please tag the versions
>> with a signed tag? Currently there are no tags which makes GIT less
>> reliable.
>
> I've not made any official releases off the git repository yet, but when
> I do I will tag it.  I generally don't tag intermediate releases (didn't
> in the subversion repo either).  Is this something to reconsider?
>
> Re: signed tags ... never done one, let me look into it.

In my opinion, singed tags are very important. All you do is,

  git tag -s <tag_name>

instead of,

  git tag <tag_name>

And it will sign it with your GPG key. Then place the key id in the
README as well. If your key is already signed by other people (web of
trust), that helps, but even newly generated GPG key is better than nothing.

The idea is if you crypto signed something, it becomes very difficult,
if not impossible, for someone to change the source code to that
revision (or previous revisions). It also prevents them from removing
the tag and put their own as people would expect a signed tag by you.

- Adam