[Rake-devel] recursive task invocation

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Mon Aug 11 11:47:13 EDT 2008

On Mon, 11 Aug 2008, Jim Weirich wrote:

> On Aug 11, 2008, at 9:35 AM, Ittay Dror wrote:
>
>> Note that the current use of threads, in either MultiTask, or the JobTask I
>> sent earlier is faulty. Imagine tasks A, B, C, D where  A => [B, C],
>> B=>[D], C=>[D]. Now if B and C are invoked in parallel, C invokes D which
>> fails. C promptly fails. B continues to run and to it D seems to have been
>> already invoked, so it does its actions assuming D's actions were executed
>> which isn't true.
>

> Do we need some kind of error state, eg. invoked, but failed?

I've wished for a means of saying task w depends on any of [t,u,v]
succeeding, but I don't care which, but if one works, don't do the
others.  I can't remember the application now.

Also, it might be interesting to poke about in the fault tolerant
shell for inspiration.

http://www.cse.nd.edu/~ccl/software/ftsh/

         Hugh