[Rake-devel] recursive task invocation

Ittay Dror ittay.dror at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 03:14:41 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm running a Buildr build and after 20 recursive prerequisites Ruby's
call stack is exhausted and I get a segmentation fault. The number of
modules and dependencies is large, so I can't decrease the prerequisites.

How about doing an iterative DFS search on the prerequisites to order
them and then invoke them according to order?

There are  a few other benefits, besides not needing recursion:
1. it allows to find circular dependencies before starting the invocation
2. it allows for rake to utilize threads to invoke the list of tasks
(assuming actions don't conflict)

Note that currently tasks can "cheat" and add prerequisites lazily when
invoked by overriding invoke_prerequisites. This can be achieved with
the above suggestion by letting them override the prerequisites accessor.

Drawbacks:
This doesn't allow for a task's action to add prerequisites to sibling
tasks during the invocation chain (unless an API is provided to allow
changing the invocation list during invocation)

What do you think? I don't mind implementing this, but obviously it is a
big change.
Ittay

Ittay Dror <ittay.dror at gmail.com>