[Rake-devel] Next rake gem release

Jim Weirich jim.weirich at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 08:49:17 EDT 2008

On Apr 12, 2008, at 12:19 AM, Alex Chaffee wrote:
> Did you get my patch for the dynamic line endings? I didn't see a
> reply from you on the list.

Yes, I got the email.  Thanks for the feedback.  I'm definitely going
to do something about the line length (there's been enough negative
feedback on that choice).  At the very least it will be sensitive to
an environment variable.  I'm trying to decide on whether or not to
include the 'stty size' trick or not. The platform checks seem to me
to be fragile.

I'm thinking of checking for terminal width in this order:

(1) Explicit environment variable
(2) stty size output
(3) assume 80 characters

Open questions:

(a) Should I bother with the stty check, given that's it is fragile
and won't work on a significant number of platforms?
(b) Would it be better to assume infinite width rather than 80?

-- Jim Weirich
-- jim.weirich at gmail.com