[Rake-devel] Tasks to aid installation?

Mat Schaffer schapht at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 10:27:52 EDT 2007

On Jun 21, 2007, at 9:37 AM, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> Yes, it's been considered.  But Jeff hasn't decided to do this yet,
> and it's his project.  I think that would be too big a change to
> contribute at the moment, and...

Again, I think you can do it without upsetting the current tree.  You
just get less magic.

> ...to do that I'd still want to use rake effectively, so I'd need be
> able to find out about these tasks that I can't see links to.

>> creation tools (e.g., hoe) usually assume a different directory
>> structure than what's in the glark package.  Tough to say how much
> So I DO still need to know what tools exist to help me make this
> platform agnostic.

Rubygems does that.  You tell the gem where the ruby libs and the
bins are (possibly man pages too, not sure though) and rubygems
handles the installation.

>> magic you can squeeze out of it without disturbing the directory
>> structure.
>> But see if Jeff is interested in using rubygems to install.  If so,
>> the new gem file would work on any platform that had rubygems
>> available (The common windows ruby installer has it pre-bundled).
>> -Mat
> That's a selling point, but I'd still be inflicting the learning
> curve on him.  And gems assumes some fluency in Rake, which is
> what my question was about.

Sorry if I misunderstood the original question.  Good luck either
way.  Rake isn't hard and if the author is really averse to it, you
can do it yourself.  Just make a Rakefile that builds the .gem, then
pass the gem around to people that need it.