[Rake-devel] Tasks to aid installation?

Mat Schaffer schapht at gmail.com
Thu Jun 21 09:15:02 EDT 2007

On Jun 20, 2007, at 2:04 PM, Hugh Sasse wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Mat Schaffer wrote:
>> of pre-compiled binaries or something like that.  Either way, I don't
>
> Binaries, AFAICS are not needed, glark is pure ruby.  It's getting
> rake to put things in the right place on a system that is not my own
> that is the issue for me at the moment.  So therefore my questions
> about tasks that come with Rake which I can't immediately see.

Ahhh... right.  I should have looked closer.  Sorry.

>> get the feeling rake is the magic bullet you're looking for.
>
> It's not a magic bullet, it is an alternative to Make, which is
> how I am trying to use it.  Having decided to use it, I'd like
> to use it effectively.
> And having read the existing Makefile, converting it to Windows
> whilst keeping it compatible would be a pain.  I also aim NOT to
> break anything.  Adding a Rakefile for used instead of a Makefile
> leaves existing infrastructure intact.  This seems to follow "first,
> do no harm".

Okay, now I see what you're trying to do.

Have you considered repackaging glark as a gem?  You should be able
to do it with just a Rakefile.  The downside is that automagic gem
creation tools (e.g., hoe) usually assume a different directory
structure than what's in the glark package.  Tough to say how much
magic you can squeeze out of it without disturbing the directory
structure.

But see if Jeff is interested in using rubygems to install.  If so,
the new gem file would work on any platform that had rubygems
available (The common windows ruby installer has it pre-bundled).
-Mat