[Rake-devel] Tasks to aid installation?

Hugh Sasse hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Jun 20 07:44:39 EDT 2007

I've just tried to install glark on a Windows box and failed.  I've
asked Jeff Pace about making this easier before, and I think I'll
have to contribute something to make this happen.  The logical step,
given that glark is ruby based and a Makefile already exists, is to
provide a Rakefile that doesn't step on the toes of the Makefile.

So, I'm looking for facilities in Rake that will allow me to pickup
the platform and installation directories.  Yes, Rake is Ruby and I
can do this in Ruby, but given the tools for creating packages
already built into Rake I suspect I've missed something that already
encapsulates this particular can of worms.

I have looked around:

and the features mentioned include:

"A library of prepackaged tasks to make building rakefiles easier."

I can't actually find where these are defined..  Maybe this could
have some links put in it?  I also can't see any Rake methods to get at
installation and configuration data, in the way that many of the File
handling facilities are adopted by Rake itself.  Have I missed that too?

        Thank you,