[Rake-devel] redefine rake task broken in 0.8.x for a rails app

John Dell spovich at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 01:11:54 EST 2007

Hi All,

We have a need to redefine 'rake test' in one of our rails apps.  I'll spare the reasons for that here, but happy to share if anyone is interested.

There is a code snippet .rake file I found that allowed us to redefine the rake task 'test' without touching the original rails task code, and it worked up to rake 0.7.3, but broke with the latest release of rake 0.8.x

The sample rake task is here: http://snippets.dzone.com/posts/show/2031

Using that code now bombs with the following:

undefined method `last' for {}:Hash
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/rake-0.8.0/lib/rake.rb:1654:in `resolve_args'

My efforts to track this down have failed (so far).  Anybody willing to take a peak at this? Or offer suggestions?

P.S. The problem is also mentioned in user comments by other folks in the rake 0.8 release here, so I'm not the only one hitting this: