[Rake-devel] Package tasks

Luke Kanies luke at madstop.com
Mon Mar 13 17:05:05 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm using Rake to build packages for a few different projects of mine[1],
and I'm finding that the package task as not really set up to go well with
how packages really work.

In particuar, it makes no mention of binary directory, library directories,
man page directories, or any of the standard file locations.  Would there be
any interest in a reworked package task that used the rbconfig variables and
required that users specify binaries, libraries, etc, storing them
accordingly?

I plan to use EPM[2] to do most of my package building, so I should be
able to contribute that, also.

Lastly, is anyone using rake to manage multiple projects?  I've listed four
projects below, but I'm adding projects all of the time, and I'm wondering
if people have any helpful hints in this process.  Obviously, part of it is
creating common tasks and putting them into a common library, but do people
create a separate "build" repository, or what?

Thanks,
Luke

1 -- http://reductivelabs.com/projects/puppet
     http://reductivelabs.com/projects/facter