[Rake-devel] Building Ruby extensions with Rake

Tilman Sauerbeck tilman at code-monkey.de
Sun Aug 6 15:25:37 EDT 2006

Steve Sloan [2006-05-13 13:08]:
> BTW, I've made some significant changes since that early version (mostly
> involving dependencies).  It's currently checked into the RDBXML project on
> RubyForge (http://rubyforge.org/projects/rdbxml) and you can get the latest
> version of the Rake tasks via anonymous SVN from
> svn://rubyforge.org/var/svn/rdbxml/trunk/rake .

The example in the comment header is bad.

The syntax is
ExtensionTask.new :foo => [:bar]

If the dependencies aren't specified as an array, rake will crash.

The bigger problem is the following. What if there's another task that
defines some properties that are to be used in my_ext_task.link_libs
for example?

link_libs is set up in the block that's passed to ExtensionTask.new, but
at that point, the other task that defines these properties isn't run
yet (even if the order in which the tasks are run is correct).

Is there some good way around this problem? This isn't a question
specific to ExtensionTask, but a general one.

Regards,
Tilman