[Rake-devel] Option parsing

Patrick Bennett patrick.bennett at inin.com
Tue Mar 22 18:53:17 EST 2005

Jim Weirich wrote:

> It's not on my list of things to do on rake, but you raise some good
> points.
>Are you thinking about the ability of a Rakefile to specify additional
>options?  That would be interesting.
Not specifically, but it 'could' be interesting.
Right now I have it so that any x=y options [actually didn't you add
this?] on the command line are set in the rakefiles environment, so
rakefile's can simply do ENV['xxxxx'] checks and have it work whether
set through the environment or the command-line.
I've also added a number of commands specific to the entire build system
I've built up around rake ('vaguely' similar in some of the concepts to
boost.build/jam).  I think I posted some messages about it months ago
but there was little to no discussion about it.
I've probably got the need for about 6 additional options right now, and
having to specify all of them as having short aliases makes for a pretty
confusing option list.
I've added a fair bit to the base rake.rb file actually.  It's
questionable how much would be generally applicable to the base 'rake'
project though.

Patrick Bennett