[Rake-devel] Multiple Rakefile build

Leon Yeh leon at newavenue.net
Sat Dec 3 10:28:23 EST 2005

Thank you Patrick, I am still interested on the code snippet.

Since some of my data migration coming from mainframe data file and
complex business rules required, I can not use RoR ActiveRecord migration.
Also the data migration process that I am currently work on, can be
potential big build, although I am sure is not  as big as the project
that you mentioned.
Additionally, we have also many people working on writing the build at
the same time.

Jim,  I am too new to  Rake,  would you mind  give a  little code
exampled on what you described in your previous email as
"you don't have to put the entire dependency graph in a single Rakefile.
You can distribute it across your subdirectories and just
require the fragments as you need. Then everything runs in a single rake
process and rake handles all necessary builds."

Jim, Thank you for pointing out the paper, I will study the paper today.

I wanted to get it right the first time,since changing  the way the
build structure in the middle of project would be very costly.
I am considering both approaches for my project data migration build. At
this point, I am slightly prefer multiple rakefiles approach.

Best regards,
Leon Yeh