[Rake-devel] Multiple Rakefile build

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Fri Dec 2 19:09:19 EST 2005

Leon Yeh wrote:
> Hi All, I have just started using Rake, I usually use ant, but got
> caught the Ruby fever :-)
>
> I have been using RoR for web development and in need rake to do data
> migration. I wanted to build a hirarchical build system similar to
> Makefile. Example below
>

> \database_migration
> 	Rakefile
> 	\task_migrate_empTable
> 		Rakefile
> 		drop_empTable.rb
> 		create_empTable.rb
> 		..
> 	\task_migrate_salesTable
> 		Rakefile
> 		drop_salesTable.rb
> 		create_salesTable.rb

You may want to look at using Ruby on Rails' migrations, which are very close to
what you have here.  They offer some great features, plus the automatic running
of migrations in the proper order to bring your database up to or back down to a
specific level.

Here's some URLs for it:

http://api.rubyonrails.com/classes/ActiveRecord/Migration.html
http://jamis.jamisbuck.org/articles/2005/09/27/getting-started-with-activerecord-migrations