[Rake-devel] Can we make the rake class names more unique?

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Sun Aug 21 15:38:54 EDT 2005

On Sunday 21 August 2005 11:31 am, felkinator-ror at yahoo.com wrote:
> [...] It appears the reason is a name space
> collision -- I was expecting an 'ActiveRecord' Task,
> but I was getting the Rake Task.
> How about changing Task to RakeTask, or RkTask, or
> something like that?

I have moved the Task, FileTask and FileCreationTask into the Rake module so
they do not pollute the top level namespace.  This means that Rakefiles that
explicitly referenced those classes will fail.  As a workaround, I have added
a --classic-namespace (or -C) option to rake to allow such rakefiles to
continue to work.

The changes are in CVS head and a beta version is available.  If you want to
try the beta, update with the following command:

  gem update rake --source http://onestepback.org/betagems

Assuming I hit no snags with this change, it will be included with the next