[Rake-devel] Separate TGZ and GEM packages?

Jim Weirich jim at weirichhouse.org
Mon Oct 11 11:47:58 EDT 2004

Gavin Sinclair said:
> Jim,
>
> I can't see a way in Rake to create GEM and TGZ package tasks with
> different file sets.  The one file I want to differentiate on is
> 'setup.rb'.  It's not needed for a gem, and at nearly 30Kb it's
> best avoided if possible.

currently there is not a way to do that with a single package task suite.

Perhaps you can setup two package task suites, one a gem one with need_tar
and need_zip set to false.  Then a second non-gem package task suite
identical to gem one but with the added setup.rb in the files list.  Hmmm
... gem packages and non-gem packages don't share the same setup because
the gem version pulls the information from the gem spec.  That might take
some kluging.

Warning: I've not tried the above, but it might be worthwhile investigating.

An Aside:  Notice the purposeful injection of the work "suite" into the
above.  I've been searching for a word to describe the PackageTask class
(and its relatives).  Initially I called them task libraries, but that
didn't seem to fit exactly (if I need to talk about the library where
PackageTask is located, then I need to say task library library ... yuck).

I'm thinking about using the word "suite" to describe PackageTask, so I'm
trying it out here.  Thoughts?  (I've also got some other ideas I need to
writeup and get out on this list for feedback).