[Rake-devel] Plea for documentation, resource aggregation, and help with rules

Kevin Smith wxruby at qualitycode.com
Wed Oct 6 13:10:52 EDT 2004

Gavin Sinclair wrote:
> Anyway, I've been struggling to get a rule working, and have given up.

For my rake project (wxruby-swig), I didn't have much luck with rules.
Instead, I have lots of helper methods that build tasks, similar to what
you have done here. I only used one rule, and that was to invoke the rc
compiler under MS Windows.

> Rules are the hardest things for me to understand in Rake.  But it's
> part of a general problem: I'd really like to see a manual that spells
> out what Rake can and can't do, and how to get it to do that.  The API
> documentation is quite good, but I too often have to resort to trial
> and error, and source code browsing, to get the result I'm after.

I agree that more documentation, tutorials, and examples would be
helpful. If nothing else, an inventory of projects that use rake might
be nice, since they can serve as "zero effort" examples.