[Rake-devel] Suggestion: allow passing of extra command-line args to the task

Martin DeMello martindemello at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 07:20:03 EDT 2004

--- Gavin Sinclair <gsinclair at soyabean.com.au> wrote:

> What I'm getting at is this.  If rake did support the CL syntax you
> describe, I would still do this instead for clarity:
>
>   rake clean
>   rake html -f other.txt
>   rake test -f test.in
>   rake make
>   rake make-install
>
> But looking at the above, I think the addition of -f does serve to
> visually distinguish between the target and its arguments.
>
> Conclusion: I like the -f idea, but see no need to introduce the \;.

True, for much the same reason that people tend to have one ruby statement per
line, even though the language allows semicolons. But by the same token, if you
don't want to use them, you don't need to. I just like the \; for generality
(i.e. you can have multiple targets, and each target can have multiple
arguments). If nothing else, letting them all be on one line lets you uparrow
and repeat the command.

martin