[Rake-devel] Gem task fails to register in 'rake -T' output

Gavin Sinclair gsinclair at soyabean.com.au
Fri Dec 5 00:13:34 EST 2003

> Jim Menard wrote:
>> Gavin,
>> On Dec 4, 2003, at 5:06 AM, Gavin Sinclair wrote:
>>> Notice in the output below that 'gem' does not appear as a task, but
>>> 'rake gem' is accepted and does what it should.
>> Does the gem task have a description? I think only tasks that have
>> descriptions are included in the output of -T.
> No, it doesn't have a description.  When I went to write one, I realized
>  that the zip and tar targets didn't have corresponding targets (e.g.
> :zip and :tar), so I'm not sure if the gem target will stay, and
> therefore I decided /not/ to document it (for now).
> :gem target ... Go or stay?  What about :zip & :tar?
> I'm sitting on a fence on this one.

I'd like to see :gem, :zip, and :tar stay and be documented.  It's good to
be able to say 'rake gem' or 'rake 'zip' to test individual packaging
targets.  When I was trying to work out what was wrong with my zip
packaging, I didn't even know I could say 'rake zip', so I watched it run
tar over and over.