Alternatives to EventMachine for async.callback

Eric Wong normalperson at
Fri Jan 18 20:28:48 UTC 2013

"W. Andrew Loe III" <andrew at> wrote:
> The documentation
> (
> specifically lists EventMachine as compatible with this model. Are
> there alternative ways to get this type interface without
> EventMachine? My current application is using the EventMachine loop to
> answer requests and spawn Celluloid Actors (which are in their own
> threads) which write back to the main thread. Seems like maybe I
> should just use a Thread-per-client model? I'm currently using Sinatra
> to do the HTTP acrobatics.

Thread-per-client is a perfectly good model, especially on 64-bit.

async.callback was only added because Thin supports it; and I
don't think anybody's tried to make it work without EM.  IMHO
it's ugly.