Unicorn is killing our rainbows workers

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Wed Jul 18 21:52:22 UTC 2012

Samuel Kadolph <samuel.kadolph at jadedpixel.com> wrote:
> Hey rainbows-talk,
>
> We have 40 servers that each run rainbows with 2 workers with 100
> threads using ThreadPool. We're having an issue where unicorn is
> killing the worker process. We use ThreadTimeout (set to 70 seconds)
> and originally had the unicorn timeout set to 150 seconds and we're
> seeing unicorn eventually killing each worker. So we bumped the
> timeout to 300 seconds and it took about 5 minutes but we started
> seeing unicorn starting to kill workers again. You can see our stderr
> log file (timeout at 300s) at
> https://gist.github.com/9ec96922e55a59753997. Any insight into why
> unicorn is killing our ThreadPool workers would help us greatly. If
> you require additional info I would be happy to provide it.

Which Ruby version/patchlevel are you using?  1.8 and 1.9 have vastly
different thread implementations and workarounds to deal with.

What C extensions are you using?

ThreadTimeout might also be conflicting with some libraries you use and
causing deadlocks.  Also, ThreadTimeout might not be a good idea with
many common libraries which:

1) use the stdlib Timeout internally
2) rely on ensure clauses firing

ThreadTimeout turns out to be difficult to use correctly with existing
code, so it may not be appropriate for you.  Your app should use
localized timeouts as much as possible (using timeout mechanisms built
into libraries you use).

Also, please don't use private gist (especially when posting to public
mailing list), it requires a github account to clone from and I'll
never require (nor encourage :P) needing any website account
for contributing to Rainbows!, just an email address.