Out of band stuff?

Damian Janowski jano at dimaion.com
Fri Apr 6 21:49:34 UTC 2012

Hello everyone,

I'm needing to perform a couple of tasks outside of the request cycle.
For instance, I want to ping a web service every X minutes so that I
can maintain a persistent connection to it and have better response
times for some requests that I have to do *inside* the request cycle.

What would be the reasonable way of doing this?

I'm thinking the OOB GC is just another example. But the current way
the OOB GC is written makes one think it's a very specific case and
not something one should use for other purposes.

Thanks in advance.