TAN: why Bundler? (was: Re: problem with rainbows 3.2.0 and rbx)

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Sat Apr 30 13:51:24 EDT 2011

Eric Wong <normalperson at yhbt.net> wrote:
> 2) your app uses Bundler?

Old idea, but I'm not sure why more webapps aren't just distributed as
gems themselves.  Or even something like this which just declares

----------------- gemspec_sandbox_demo.gemspec --------------------
Gem::Specification.new do |s|
  s.name = %q{gemspec_sandbox_demo}
  s.version = '1'
  s.author = "J. Random Hacker"
  s.homepage = "http://example.com/"
  s.email = "root at example.com"
  s.summary = "no need to use sandboxing tools"
  s.description = <<EOF
Apps that use gems that don't conflict can just use a dummy gem built
from a gemspec like this one.

There are a few missing pieces, like not being able to use git://
repos for gems or specify build options for C extensions, but it's
probably enough for a good number of use cases.
  s.add_dependency(%q<mysql2>, "~> 0.3")
  s.add_dependency(%q<sequel>, "~> 3.22")
  s.add_dependency(%q<sinatra>, "~> 1.0")

And then just `gem build foo.gemspec && gem install ./foo-1.gem`
in the deploy.

...But many years ago I gave up and just decided
packaging/dependency/deployment problems are just unsolvable because
there's always (at least) one special case in *every* case that $TOOL
doesn't/can't solve :<