a note about Zbatery...

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Mon Jun 7 15:05:09 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I know Zbatery doesn't nearly get as much attention as it deserves
(mainly because it can quietly use new features from Rainbows! without
needing much release synchronization/announcement).  I should say I've
been using it heavily for various internal projects and test suites with
great success.

It's great for test suites because it starts up faster and (fails more
loudly/quickly) than Rainbows!  That said, I'll be publically releasing
a full Rack application soonish[1] that uses Zbatery in its test suite.

Rainbows! is (probably) better for heavy production use, especially on
medium SMP (2-16 cores)[2] boxes where multiple worker processes can
amortize GC costs.

Since Zbatery is 99%-reliant on Rainbows! code, I think I'll keep all
discussion of it on this mailing list if it's alright with everyone.

* http://zbatery.bogomip.org/ # (no that's not a typo :)
* git://git.bogomips.org/zbatery

[1] - I'm saying this now so somebody can poke me in a month when I
      realize I've forgotten about it again :)

[2] - If anybody is able and willing to share more information about
      deployments on larger SMP (or even NUMA) systems, let us know!
      I doubt huge SMP/NUMA boxes are practical for HTTP applications
      at this point due to bus limitations, but wouldn't mind being
      proven wrong.