rails 2 and slow external services

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Tue Dec 14 12:27:48 EST 2010

ghazel at gmail.com wrote:
> Hm. Well I was unaware that there was any timeout issue with my
> application. When a Unicorn process timed out and died, how did the
> request not timeout with nginx? Was it re-submitted to another worker?

A timeout issue is one *possible* cause of the errors you were seeing
from nginx.  Of course you know the application better than I do, so,
I'm not certain it was a timeout issue, just a likely cause of the
errors.  Did your Unicorn error logs tell you if there were any
timeouts?

Anyways I'd always put timeouts around any code that accesses remote
services since the Internet is unreliable.  It's also pretty easy to
setup an evil OpenID provider server that can DoS web apps that don't
timeout themselves.