rails 2 and slow external services

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Tue Dec 14 02:49:44 EST 2010

ghazel at gmail.com wrote:
> I'm not sure how I would know that - I'm not actually sure which
> timeout you mean. "timeout" in the config/unicorn.rb and
> config/rainbows.rb is 300, same as proxy_read_timeout. Is that it? Are
> you saying when that is hit that Rainbows! and Unicorn act
> differently?

Yes, the purpose of the "timeout" in the Unicorn config has always been
to kill unrecoverably stuck processes, Rainbows! just enforces that
more strictly.

The simple nature of Unicorn allows lazy people can use it to avoid
adding timeouts to their code without causing harm to other clients.

Since Rainbows! is designed to serve multiple clients in the same
process, killing a process would break all the clients on the process,
not just the one client that triggered the timeout.  So using Rainbows!
requires more discipline from the application authors than Unicorn.