/this/will/be/overwritten/or/wrapped/anyways/do/not/worry/ruby

russell muetzelfeldt russm-rubyforge at slofith.org
Mon Dec 13 05:52:13 EST 2010

On 13/12/2010, at 8:04 PM, ghazel at gmail.com wrote:

> I installed the rainbows gem and symlinked rainbows-2.0.1/bin/rainbows
> to /usr/local/bin/rainbows
> However, running rainbows gives: -bash: /usr/local/bin/rainbows:
> /this/will/be/overwritten/or/wrapped/anyways/do/not/worry/ruby: bad
> interpreter: No such file or directory
>
> Any ideas what I should have done instead?

what platform are you on? you shouldn't have to link gem executable scripts anywhere for them to work.

when I install gems, the system creates a wrapper executable in an existing bin/ directory (/usr/bin/ on OSX, /var/lib/gems/1.9.1/bin/ on Debian Squeeze) that lets you force a version for the loaded gem and then loads the original executable script without launching a new interpreter - this ignores the supposed #! line in the gem's internal bin/rainbows, which is why that file says its #! will be overwritten or wrapped.

If installing rainbows didn't leave an executable script somewhere in your $PATH you might need to find where your local gem package is putting the wrappers and add that to your search path.

cheers

Russell

-----
Russell Muetzelfeldt <russm at slofith.org>