Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Mon Dec 13 05:34:20 EST 2010

ghazel at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
> I installed the rainbows gem and symlinked rainbows-2.0.1/bin/rainbows
> to /usr/local/bin/rainbows
> However, running rainbows gives: -bash: /usr/local/bin/rainbows:
> /this/will/be/overwritten/or/wrapped/anyways/do/not/worry/ruby: bad
> interpreter: No such file or directory
> Any ideas what I should have done instead?

You shouldn't have had to make a symlink, if you used gems, then
RubyGems will have put a "rainbows" executable wrapper in the same
prefix as your other gems (probably same path as the "gem" command) that
loads and wraps the $GEM_HOME/gems/rainbows-2.0.1/bin/rainbows script...

In short, it works the same way as unicorn, mongrel, thin or any
other RubyGem that distributes executable scripts.