[ANN] socket_dontwait - socket methods using MSG_DONTWAIT and more

Eric Wong normalperson at yhbt.net
Mon Aug 9 18:44:01 EDT 2010

Eric Wong <normalperson at yhbt.net> wrote:
> This library is considered EXPERIMENTAL.  If successful, we'll see about
> getting them integrated into the standard Ruby socket library.

I've been running socket_dontwait for a few days now with real traffic
(and thus unreliable and slow clients) and haven't noticed anything
wrong.  No crashes, corrupted data, nor fires :)

In synthetic benchmarks, I've seen a ~3-4% performance improvement with
small responses (<= 4K) due to the reduction of syscalls but nothing
measurable with real traffic (which varies a lot and doesn't even come
close to saturating the machines).