rainbows for 3rd party api

Giovanni Lion giovanni.lion at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 05:40:51 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 6, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Eric Wong <normalperson at yhbt.net> wrote:
> Giovanni Lion <giovanni.lion at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Giovanni,
>> >
>> > 3rd party API responses are exactly one of the uses Rainbows! was built
>> > for.
>> >
>> > You really only want DevFdResponse if you're doing a straight proxy
>> > between the 3rd party and your client without modifying the data.  Since
>> > you seem to be getting XML and rendering HTML, you probably can't use
>> > DevFdResponse efficiently.  Don't despair, though, Rainbows! still
>> > gives you plenty of options :)
>> >
>> > You can build a Rack config.ru to use with Rails, too. In fact, you'll
>> > have to for now since we're unsure if we want to support a
>> > "rainbows_rails" wrapper like I do with "unicorn_rails".  Using
>> > config.ru gives you much more flexibility to route around/outside
>> > of Rails.
>>
>> Ok i think i got most of it. Now i was just thinking about the best
>> way to get this going. The issue now is that processing the xml into
>> the html is something I prefer keeping insde the app for consistency.
>> My idea was to do something like this, i use an example this time:
>>
>> 1) I get a request for a friend list html partial
>> 2) I intercept it and using revactor
>> 3) Wait for the response (It shouldn't be called waiting with revactor
>> and fibers, right?)
>
> Well, from the caller's point of view, it is waiting :)

#=> true

>> 4) I write the response to memcached
>> 5) I call the rails app who now fetches from cache the friend list
>> 6) The rails app renders the partial and everybody is happy
>>
>> Do you think this is a good flow? Should I create a specific method instead?
>
> Depends on the rest of your app, I guess.  Is your Rails app
> reentrant?  If so, definitely go for it.  If you're dealing
> with DB connections in there, compatibility will probably be
> better with the ThreadPool or ThreadSpawn models unless somebody
> writes Revactor-enabled DB libraries.

Well, I do have a db in there but it's just one users table, which i
really need only to pair the facebook id to the oauth tokens to make
the api calls. Unfortunately it's a 3-legged oauth so i'm kinda stuck
with having my own db. I'm testing now something like this:

map("/3rd_party/friends") do
  use Rack::Facebook #checking the fb signature
  run lambda { |env|
    request = Rack::Request.new(env)
    return Rack::Response.new(["Invalid Facebook signature"],
400).finish unless request.POST['fb_sig']
    user = User.find_by_fb_id(request.POST['fb_sig_user']) #db query
    oauth_stuff_i_am_still_working_on
  }
end

Will rails connection pool mess things up if used in an actor? Right
now I'm really much more worried about the app being blocked in the
http call as the third party is acting wonky lately. Db load is not a
worry for now.

Let me know your thoughts while I get the oauth - revactor http going.

Giovanni