[Nitro] First Comes Og

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:53:29 EST 2008

On Feb 27, 6:38 am, "Jonathan Buch" <j... at oxyliquit.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> > I'm not sure how much the failing tests has to do with the switch from
> > test/unit to rspec. Who did this transition? Were the specs ever all
> > passing?
> I translated all of Ogs specs and some of the Nitro ones.
> The specs were passing about 80% as far as I can remember.
> As a sidenote:  I resented the change to rspec, it was introduced in
> a hurry, was not executed by someone knowledgeable enough, did not have
> full backing from George and as a result is now in it's usual morbid
> half-state.

I did too. Not that it was a bad idea in the long run, but it was very
much wrong time to be doing it.

> Before the switch to rspec my mind tells me that about 3 tests failed.
> How about that.  If you can personally assure me that the spec structure
> is basically working,

I think so. I'm still trying to understand it myself. I assume it was
correct to just load all the .rb files within the test/ directory.
Since there is no spec_ prefix, or anything like that, I could only
assume this to be the case. It seems to be working for the most part --
with the exception of warnings about constants being reset. I will
keep working to improve this, and make sure it is working right Any
help you can offer in the way of this is appreciated.

> that only `rake test` or similar has to be done

Yes, just run "ruby task/test".

> and that a strict 'only patches passing all tests'-policy will be used
> on Ogden - then I will have a look at the failing specs.

Yes. After we get 0.50 out the door (which George has been asking me
do for weeks now), we will switch to a proper patch policy with
branches and passing tests. In fact, would you like to be in change of
overseeing that?