[Nitro] TMail in Nitro

Kirk Haines wyhaines at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 14:38:46 EDT 2007

On 9/26/07, Trans <transfire at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was just wondering if the C part is all that important given that
> YARV is approaching. If it's not then I'll just do the Pure Ruby
> version. Opinions?

YARV isn't going to change anything.  Stuff that is slow will still be
slow.  Stuff that needs a C extension to not be slow will still need
it.

> OTOH, if the general opinion is that the C portion is worth
> maintaining, then that's okay too, but we'll need someone else to help
> with the project that has C experience. It's not so much the code the
> keeps me from it, but the build process. I really have so little
> experience in this area that I'd be all but helpless even to put out a
> new release.

The problem with C extensions isn't the build process in general.  It's trivial.

It's the build process when dealing with Windows platforms that is
ugly.  This is because the compiler that one needs to use isn't
commercialy available (VC6).

That's where the pain lies.

Kirk