[Nitro] TMail in Nitro

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 13:01:59 EDT 2007

On Sep 26, 6:54 am, "Kirk Haines" <wyhai... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9/26/07, Trans <transf... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have some bad news about TMail. Turns out part of it is written in
> > C. I'm not a C programmer and don't feel like becoming one. So I don't
> > think I can maintain this project. Perhaps if we could convert the C
> > parts to Ruby, but I don't really have the time for that. Would anyone
> > else like to pursue it?
> It's not that big of a deal.  The C portion isn't unwieldly, and there
> is a pure ruby equivalent.  I have the pure ruby variant bundled with
> IOWA, in fact, to be installed if one doesn't already have TMail on
> the system.  The advantage of the C extension based one, obviously, is
> that it is faster, but the pure ruby works, too.

Sigh, my original response to this got lost in the ether it seems.

I was just wondering if the C part is all that important given that
YARV is approaching. If it's not then I'll just do the Pure Ruby
version. Opinions?

OTOH, if the general opinion is that the C portion is worth
maintaining, then that's okay too, but we'll need someone else to help
with the project that has C experience. It's not so much the code the
keeps me from it, but the build process. I really have so little
experience in this area that I'd be all but helpless even to put out a
new release.