[Nitro] RFC: Basic Points for a Better Nitro/Og

Aidan Rogers aidan at yoyo.org
Fri Sep 21 14:59:30 EDT 2007

I think there are three things that stop Nitro/Og from greatness:

1) Getting started is hard
2) Features are more highly valued than stability
3) Rails

Arguably, we're all here because we found things we didn't like with
#3.  At the same time, I doubt there's anyone on this list who has
not written at least one Rails app because it's easy to do.

#2 - George loves new features, and we have to be grateful for that -
otherwise there'd be no Nitro!  Many of us just want it to work
reliably and testably.

But #1 is what kills Nitro.  Last year I spent six months during
which I was writing an app using Og and little bits of Nitro.  I
contributed a few patches to the Og repo and I got to know the
codebase intimately.  Now I come back and find that I have to learn
everything again because so many things have changed: how to start an
app, how to configure Og, how to build classes so that they are Og
friendly (luckily that wasn't too different), etc.

Right now, Nitro has only one developer and that's George.  There are
a few others out there whose contributions are patchy (pun
intended).  We cannot expect George to do everything: maintain a
website, mailing list, gems, repository AND write new features for 4
codebases AND make sure it's all well tested AND write documentation.

Personally, I feel that a feature freeze is necessary - George, I
think you are your own worst enemy in that regard :-)  However, given
that none of us can prevent you from doing this and that it's
probably what you enjoy doing most, perhaps we should branch the
Nitro repository?

If we create a "stable" branch and a "development" branch and get
stable to 1.0 as quickly as possible  - a full suite of specs,
documentation, website etc.  Meanwhile, George and whoever else can
continue to develop the bleeding edge but nothing gets checked into
"stable" until it has specs, docs and good examples.

Thoughts?  Volunteers?

Whether you split Og off or not, I think the same applies for Og.
I'd be happy to volunteer to get Og ready for prime-time (I know very
little about Nitro).

Aidan