[Nitro] RFC: Basic Points for a Better Nitro/Og

Trans transfire at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 13:05:17 EDT 2007

On Sep 21, 1:15 am, "George Moschovitis"
<george.moschovi... at gmail.com> wrote:
> > The main thing is that Og needs to have it's own repository. By
> > separating Og out from the Nitro framework, it can grow on it's own
> > merits. This in turn will come back to benefit Nitro, as a matter of
> > an independent development track, and as people adopt Og as their ORM
> > of choice, they will also in turn be attracted to Nitro later for
> > their website needs.
>
> Ok, I will do this.

That's fantastic!

> Perhaps a readonly SVN repo  like James suggested is a better idea.

I don't think that's necessary. It's not just having a subversion
repo, but a place where shared development occurs. A read-only repo
wouldn't offer that. If you want to stick with Darcs then I think it's
best to do so whole heartedly. I only suggested SVN for consideration
b/c most of the Ruby community is using it, so it might encourage more
Nitro involvement.

Actually there was a good discussion about this:

  http://groups.google.com/group/ruby-talk-google/browse_thread/thread/6b846ca638f44351/8aad5a2a85faaa57?hl=en&q=subversion+trans&lnk=ol&

> I don't have much time to work on the site.  Does anyone have any time to
> work on this?

Hmmm... well, it should only take a few minutes to comment out the
dead links. That in itself is a good start. Then if you just fill in
the image link "holes", the site would look 100% better just from
that. Put an image link for Oxy and one for Facets too if you want.
Almost anything is better than blank space.

> I would think that Nitro is an ideal solution for you. It is the most
> integrated framework with facets. And it is relatively mature. Moreover, I
> will have one more developer working on-top of Nitro full time from October
> 1st, so expect more progress. Hopefully, I will have small amounts of money
> to sponsor some nitro/og bounties, or we could even build a small Nitro fund
> for stuff like the site or documentation (like the Rails guys did when they
> where starting).

That's good to hear!

I want to create a documentation wiki for Facets. And I do think Nitro
is the best solution for this. But I want to see 0.50 get out the door
and stablize a bit first --including having the examples run without
any fuss. I learn primarily by emulating examples, so it's important
to me to see those working top notch so I have something to work off
of.

Thanks for heearing out my hopes and concerns!
T.